Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Slice of Humble Pie (Couch to 5k: W6D1)

I was really looking forward to today's run. After my big success on Sunday, I couldn't wait to hit the pavement and cross another run off the calendar. When I checked the run schedule for today, I almost laughed. There was the usual 5 minute warm up walk, followed by a 5 minute run/3 minute walk, 8 minute run/3 minute walk, 5 minute run/cool down walk. Surely after Sunday's 20 minute run, today's schedule would be a "walk in the park" (Pun intended).

I am guessing this is the point in the program where the creators laughed heartily, saying: "OH, so you THINK you're a RUNNER now, eh???? Well THINK AGAIN!! MUAHAHAHAHA!" Would you like some ice cream with your humble pie?

The first run interval started out pretty well. I looked at the clock a little too early, which messed with my head a bit, but the 5 minutes passed without too much difficulty. The 8 minute interval was another story. At this point of the run I was running directly into the wind, which really buggered up my breathing. I couldn't seem to find my stride either, and I pretty much watched the clock for the last 4 minutes of this interval. The final 5 minute run interval was better, but not great. All in all, I felt somewhat discouraged on the walk home.

So what have I learned from this? I think that my experience today underlines what I have suspected all along: the biggest battle in learning to run is the battle going on in your own head. Case in point.....

Today, I had a less than wonderful day. I had a lot of work to get through and, yet again, my technology was less than co-operative. The kids are off on March Break and a resounding chorus of "I'm Bored" could be heard throughout my house. By the time I laced up my shoes and hit the road, I was pretty frazzled. I think my biggest problem, however, was the attitude with which I approached the run today. I was feeling cocky. Over confident. I thought the run would be easy. It didn't take long before I was brought down a notch or two. c25K: 1, Me: 0

I'm going to try not to be too hard on myself and chalk it all up to a learning experience. After all, I am a long way from being a real runner and I still have to earn my stripes. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

The schedule changes again for day 2, but this time I won't make the mistake of thinking it's going to be a cake walk. The "program" may have won this round, but I'm going to win the battle!

J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment