Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pain, No Gain? (Couch to 5K: Week 8)

Day 1: I could not WAIT for today's run. I was still feeling pretty pumped from the stellar run I had on Sunday, so I decided to run the same routine again and try to increase my pace. (The C25K Day 1 schedule suggests 28 minutes of running or 4.4km - my route on Sunday was 4.36K - close enough!) It was a bit strange getting back into my WINTER running gear, something I haven't had to wear since Week 4 Day 1. I debated about the windbreaker, but figured I'd warm up pretty quickly. (I was wrong. It was freezing. BRRRR!!!)

About 30 seconds into this run, I got a stitch in my left side. Definitely not fun, but after about 5 or 6 minutes, I didn't notice it any more. Overall, I felt sluggish and tired today and I was sure that my pace was going to be SLOW compared to Sunday. Come to think of it, I wasn't even sure I was going to finish. Coming into the home stretch (about the last kilometre or so) I started feeling pretty good - I was going to make it!

Or maybe not......all of a sudden, I felt like I'd been stabbed in my right side! The pain literally took my breath away - I saw stars! I stopped dead in my tracks, paused the stop watch (29 minutes) and made note of where I was on the trail. Partially because I wanted to be able to measure my distance when I got home, but also because I thought there was a decent chance I was going to have to call someone to pick me up. This was the mother of all side stitches! It was a minute or two before I could even walk properly, but I did eventually walk through it and made my way home.

When I got home and measured my distance, I found that I had done 3.81k in 29 minutes (pace 7:36 min/km). Maybe I wasn't going slow at all! I think perhaps I was pushing myself and going a little too fast, the end result being a killer pain my side. I'll try not to make that mistake again. This is where one of those Garmin running watches would REALLY come in handy so I could monitor my pace as I go along. (Mother's Day is coming up....anyone want to drop a hint with my hubby???? Anyone????)

I was feeling a little discouraged after today, but considering I did complete the time requirement for W8D1, I guess it's all good. I'm not sure yet what the plan for Day 2 is....we'll have to see how I feel on Thursday!

Day 2: Over the weekend, I wore (very) high heels for the first time in a while. I've been avoiding all of my pretty shoes lately because they seem to do a real number on my back. As expected, after wearing them, my back started to feel a little wonky. After my run on Tuesday, my back was a total write off. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday laying on a heating pad hoping for a little relief. When Thursday rolled around, it was clear that I could not run. I was so disappointed. W8D2 would have to wait......

Friday: Still no running today. I'm finding going up and down the stairs really difficult at the moment, so I'm guessing running would be a bad idea.

Saturday (Rehab Run #1): This morning, after bending over to lace up my shoes, Marc had to come to my rescue and pick me up off the floor after my back seized up. This afternoon was beautiful and sunny and I was literally WHINING because I was dying to get out for a run. I'm falling behind in my training!!!!!! Marc suggested maybe I go out for a walk to try to loosen things up a little, but warned me NOT to run. Under any circumstances. Yes, Dear! I headed out and felt pretty good to be moving, so I thought I'd give running a shot. I ran 3km in 24 minutes and couldn't go any further. By the time I got home, I could barely move. Yes, I am aware this probably wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done.

Sunday: Took it easy...popped a lot of Robax...and spent most of the day in a semi-reclined position on a heating pad either reading or watching a movie. I was desperately hoping I would feel strong enough to complete W8D2 on Monday.

Monday (Rehab Run #2): Another beautiful day! Couldn't wait to take a much needed break from my income taxes and get a little running done. Sadly, today was even worse than Saturday. I had to stop after 2.1km (18 minutes) because I couldn't handle the pain anymore. (Insert crying here)

I'm now so discouraged that I'm thinking I'm never going to be a real runner. I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the May 5th 5K Race earlier this week, and ever since, things have been slowly falling apart. I know that I have to rest and let my body heal a little, but it is very frustrating. I was doing so well and improving each week, and this is a major step backwards that I was not anticipating.

Hoping some yoga can get me back on the right path, but this may be one of those things where time is the best medicine. (and patience is DEFINITELY NOT my strong suit......)


J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment